Each year, FLENJ identifies an exemplary world language teacher who personifies and promotes the best in our profession. The FLENJ Teacher of the year is honored at the Annual Conference in the Spring and competes on the regional level the following winter at the Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (NECTFL). That winner then competes to become the ACTFL Teacher of the Year at the national level. Consider nominating a teacher or submit your own application to represent New Jersey today!
Deadline is now January 15, 2020.
The following list details what is required for a complete application. ALL materials must be submitted electronically and as a group to email@example.com:
- Letter of recommendation from a professional colleague
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor
- Letter of recommendation from a current or former parent or student
- Curriculum Vitae of no more than five (5) pages.
- Five-hundred-word (500) first-person statement on the value of learning language and culture.
- Examples of Student Work (two individual examples, one page and one-sided only) that reflect the goals of the World Readiness Standards for Learning Languages (5C’s). These can be written examples or in a digital format.
- Reflection on the student work not to exceed 4 pages (Size 12 font, double-spaced) total for both examples that provides a written reflection about these student examples and how they:
- demonstrate current best practices of language teaching and learning, including the integration of the World Readiness Standards for Learning Languages (5 C’s);
- encourage the proficient use of the target language by the teacher and students;
- provide the effective use of feedback, including but not limited to rubrics.
- Completed Commitment form which is a statement of willingness to participate in all required activities associated with the award including:
- a commitment to attend the respective regional conference for a personal interview (The regional organization or state association may provide reimbursement of some expenses);
- if selected as the regional winner, a commitment to attend the ACTFL Annual Convention (hotel, registration, and transportation are paid by ACTFL);
- willingness to serve as a spokesperson for the profession, based on availability.