Dear FLENJ members and fellow language educators:
With the 2017-18 school year winding down, I hope you are ready for…
It’s finally here. Time for the 3 R’s. No, not those…
It’s time to Rest, Reflect, and Recharge. We at FLENJ know how important these are…and so should you!
1. It is a well-known fact that the human body needs time to rest. I hope that you will use this summer to take a moment to get away from it all. Take time to enjoy everything that life has to offer, whether it be with friends, family, or just with yourself and some quiet time alone. Make this the first part of your summer “lesson plan” and put yourself first.
2. The second part of your “lesson plan” should be to take time to reflect on your accomplishments over the past school year. We at FLENJ are reflecting on the accomplishments of so many school districts across the State that achieved model language status for their language programs, including:
- Egg Harbor Township – Hispanohablantes
- Ocean City High School – American Sign Language
- West Morris Regional High School – World Languages
- West Windsor-Plainsboro – K-12 World Languages
As I said when I attended the awards ceremony in Trenton for these districts, the acquisition of language is a powerful tool in our arsenal in tearing down the walls that divide us, whether they be of brick and mortar or of policy and practice.
The work you do, and every contribution you make, is important…and you are making a difference every single day. As language educators, continue to reflect on the work that you do in our mission to cultivate a multilingual society of individuals that can connect to the rest of the world as a result of meaningful language learning experiences.
3. We hope you will take time to recharge and refresh. Are you thinking about you how you will revitalize your teaching practices next year? Do you want to get energized for next year on your own timeline? If so, that’s where your FLENJ member benefits or soon-to-be member benefits come in on your summer lesson plan!
Upcoming FLENJ-sponsored Events
Reflecting and Planning
Christopher Gwin & Doug Crouse
Monday, June 25, 2018 – 7:00pm EST
Making the World Language Classroom
A Critical Friends Group
Monday, July 9, 2018 – 7:00pm EST
This year, we are partnering with Monmouth University to bring you the best PD deal around…
4th Annual Summer Refresher
Thursday, August 9, 2018
Monmouth University | West Long Branch, NJ
- Do you sometimes have trouble getting released from your district to attend PD?
- Are you looking for a cost-effective way to get a refresh on basic world language pedagogy?
- Are you seeking to grow as a professional and implement cutting-edge methods in your classroom next year?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, the 2018 Summer Refresher is for you.
It will be a day of lighthearted professional growth and networking opportunities with sessions on great topics:
- Top technology tools for the world language classroom
- Best assessment practices
- Heritage Spanish programs
We are adding to a repertoire of PD offerings this year with sessions on:
- Updates from the NJDOE and on the Seal of Biliteracy with the New Jersey State Coordinator of World Languages
- American Sign Language
- Mindfulness and yoga for language educators
This year, we are offering a special for new members. With your non-member rate, you will receive complimentary membership through the rest of 2018 AND a full year of 2019 membership! Remember that membership gives you access to reduced rates on all our events!
Register Here for the Summer Refresher
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us on the FLENJ board of directors.
Until we may see you at one of our upcoming events, I hope your summer “lesson plan” brings you many opportunities to rest, reflect, and recharge.
Yours in language education,